Faith Formation Small Groups – All are Welcome!
Companions in ChristCompanions is a 28 week spiritual development program, designed to help people move to a deeper relationship with God and Jesus. The process is based on weekly meetings, short readings, and daily study and prayer. This fall, a Wednesday evening group will start on October 15. The group stays intact during the session, to allow for depth of sharing and learning. For more information, contact Judy Beaudet or Sue Hiscox.
Conversations on RaceThis well-attended group meets quarterly after church and has hosted several interesting speakers, from within the congregation and beyond. Round-table discussions are held after worship on Sundays in the Niebuhr Room. As a congregation, we want to be pro-active and open to learning more and collaborating with people with all ethnic and racial identities. This supports the motto of the United Church of Christ as a denomination - that all may be one.
MeditationWednesdays 7:00 pm Robinson Room (For more infomation, ask Judy B. at church. “ To master our breath is to be in control of our bodies and minds. Each time we find ourselves dispersed and find it difficult to gain control of ourselves by different means, the method of watching the breath should always be used.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh,
- Monday Book Group is reading and discussing biographies. 12:30 - 2:00 Mon.
- Women's Faith Exchange reads various books or discusses video presentations. 10:00 - 11:00 Weds.
- Current Events Book Group meets 3rd Fridays, 9:00– 11:00, Niebuhr Room
- Spiritual Seekers Book Group meets weekly 12:30 - 2:00, Duncombe Room
- Theology Book Group reads books about theology or religion. Thursdays, 1:30-3:00, Duncombe Room
Quilters, Knitters, CraftersMembers of these groups meet regularly to create quilts which are given to graduating seniors, babies upon baptism, and others. They knit prayer shawls which are given to folks who are struggling in one way or another, as a physical symbol of Christ as comforter. Mission Quilters meets 2nd Thursdays 10 am - 2 pm in the Niebuhr Room. There is also a craft group, which meets 3rd Wednesday from 6-8 pm in Amistad Fellowship Hall
- God at Work Men’s Group: 2nd Sundays, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Brown Blackwell Room - This group of guys of varying generations read and discuss on topics on interest and provide a network of support for each other.
- Breakfasts at Black Bear Diner are another way men at Cedar Hills United Church of Christ stay in touch and connect. Plus, the breakfast is really good there.
Young FamiliesGroups meet with children to bond, learn and play. This summer families met for Ice Cream Mondays with TED Talks and Playground Fun - Parents brought their children to enjoy the playground under supervision, watched a TED talk, had some adult conversation, then enjoyed some ice cream before heading home. Similar activities pop up as folks get inspired.
Small Prayer/Support GroupsMembers of these groups meet weekly or bi-weekly to study, pray, and support one another. Times vary based on the group members. Current groups focus on parents of young children and parents of older children or empty nesters. We will be assessing the need for more groups. Existing groups will be open to new members on a quarterly basis. Come to information sessions at the beginning of each quarter to learn more about groups.
Go Green GroupIn June 2013 the Go Green group, on behalf of CHUCC, and with the approval of Council, signed the Energy Stewardship Covenant with Oregon Interfaith Power and Light (OIPL). Our church is now part of many congregations in Oregon that have pledged to conserve energy. The group is currently meeting to outline our goals and objectives and future actions.